Latex comes from the rubber tree and is widely known to cause allergic reactions. An allergic reaction is when your body overreacts to a particular substance (such as latex, kiwis or pollen).
These reactions can range from sneezing and itchy eyes to itchy, irritated skin or rash to full anaphylaxis (this is an allergic response affecting ability to breathe, including swelling of the throat to the point that it could be life threatening).
People with severe allergy to latex may need to carry an epi-pen or similar branded product, this is essentially a syringe of epinephrine/adrenaline which will counteract the symptoms of anaphylactic shock.
These products have been designed for use by non-professionals, although instructions should always be closely followed when dispensing them.
Latex can be used in everyday and medical products such as rubber plugs, bathmats, binocular/microscope eyepieces, gloves, urinary catheters. Most clinical environments will routinely substitute out latex products as a precautionary measure if possible.
MWE products do not contain latex.